Monday, September 24, 2007

Where's my RAM? or How I learned to work in 64 Bits Part 1

I built a new computer this month. It's got the most RAM of any system that I've personally owned. Here's the specs:

Amd Athlon 64 X2 4600+
4 Gigs Ram DDR2 800(4x1Gig)
gigabyte motherboard
PCI Express GeForce 8500GT 512 Meg
Misc hard drives I have laying around that I will be swapping out

I first installed Windows XP(32bit) Professional. I could only see 3.5 Gigs of ram, give or take a couple hundred meg. I was aware of this limitation, but it got me thinking about really wanting that extra RAM available. I am testing out some different Server Operating Systems on both VMWare Server and MS Virtual Server. So I decided to install Windows XP Profesional x64 Edition, the 64 bit version of Windows.

To be continued...

No comments: